Great Northern Run 2013

John Wilkes' S1 3.8 and Brian Green's 4.2 at The Palace Hotel Buxton Mike Riley's S2 and Michael Pepper's S1 at The Palace Hotel Trevor Fearn's XK 120

The second Great North Run, organised jointly by Mike Riley, Chris Rooke and Brian Green, took place on “Drive it Day”, April 21 which, in sharp contrast to last year, was mainly dry with a few sunny spells.

The run started at The Palace Hotel, Buxton where we counted 13 E-types and 2 XK’s plus an Aston Martin DB9 and a contingent of around 8 cars from the TR register who had been invited to share the route – mainly TR5s and TR6s with a Stag that was running so hot that they drove with the bonnet open! Unfortunately, 2 of the E-types and one XK could not take part in the run but it was good to see them out and about and all added to the interesting display in the car park.

The route was split into 2 stages, each approximately 20 miles long, with the first stage taking us past the huge Limestone quarries at Tunstall and through a number of interesting old Derbyshire villages to finish at the Plough Inn at Hathersage, where we stopped for an excellent lunch. There we were joined by a 3.4 Mk II, a Porsche 928 and a group of Riley enthusiasts who had also chosen this spot for lunch, and so we had an even more interesting display of cars here than we did at the start.

Members and guests were encouraged to participate in an informal concours (E-types and XK’s only), with the prize, a bottle of Pol Roger Champagne once again kindly donated by Philip Porter, going to Trevor Fearn, who’s beautiful XK 120 FHC was voted the most desirable car present by a significant majority, demonstrating that we E-type owners are not biased when it comes to the appreciation of fine motor cars!

After lunch, stage 2 took us through the magnificent Vale of Edale, which features in the BBC TV series “The Village”, and on to Rushup Edge using a mixture of good main roads and narrow country lanes, with some spectacular views, before returning to the Palace Hotel at Buxton where afternoon tea was taken before wending our way home.

By this time, the weather had broken and most of the entrants got a bit wet on the way home but everyone seemed to enjoy themselves and, as usual, it was a really friendly group and a real pleasure to meet members from other regions and spend the day with them.

Comments are closed.